Thread: Another question..

Question Another question..

Fellows; One other thing has bothered me for years, ever since I saw a supposed possession in Bridgeport CT in the 70's; that is: Why are all the Demons Catholic? Or seem to be...Why don't Japanese Tengus inhabit people, or Dubbuks? I am aware that one could say that this is a proof of the Catholic Church being the one true faith, but more than that, somehow this still doesn't seem right to me.

(I witnessed Fr Malachi Martin at this supposed possession, but did not get a chance to have an in depth conversation at the time. The Warrens were there also, and I was not impressed by them, but Fr. Martin knew his demons!!)

Just wondered if this has been dealt with here, or am I beating a dead horse, or practicing 'Thread Necrmancy"??

Thanks for your patience...

Dale in AL

I can't answer specifically for non-Christian demonology, but I believe the phenomenon of possession has been noted within non-Christian religions and regions. Although the definition of "demon" starts to widen and blur a bit when one travels outside of the Bible and Christian doctrine. In some strains of Buddhism, for instance, demons are sometimes benevolent, sometimes malevolent. In Catholicism/Christianity, they're only what an angel of Satan would be.

On a side note, it's interesting that Blatty chose a non-Christian deity from which to base his demon character, while it's clear that Blatty's demon character is definitely a minion of Old Scratch.

Psychiatrist: "Where do you come from?"

Demon: "Dog." [God]

Psychiatrist: "You come from a dog?"

Demon: "Dogmorfmocion." [No, I come from God.]

Jonathan: Thanks, I just wondered about this for years....If a Buddhist Demon has a chance to possess a Christian, is there some "union rule" against it, or are we seeing a cultural paradigm? Just idle specuation on my part......

WPB is, in my opinion, a great writer and philosopher, and his use of a non Judeo-Christian Demon is one of the reasons....He has transcended the usual behavoirism and come up with some truly original thoughts....

Dale
    "Neca eos omnes deus suos agnoscet"

Demon

I'm not entirely sure what Blatty's reasons were for choosing that demon, it might have been simply because it was something he knew about. Remember that he is Lebanese and spent some time in the service in Lebanon (Beirut). That is not too far away from the scene of the prologue in The Exorcist.

Also, the characterization of foreign religious deities as demons goes back to ancient times, and the practice is not at all confined to Christianity or Judaism, or even just to well known religions. This happened very often in Judaism and later in Christianity. What I'm saying is that if you thought Blatty did his research before, let me tell you that he really knows his stuff beyond what even avid enthusiasts realize.

Thread Information