Thread: "God, I love."

"God, I love."

In Blatty's comments on the DVD version, discussing the last words of Kane, WPB mentions a quote from "Scobie" and suggests that such reference refers to loving in the general, but not in the particular. I would be interested in more on that reference to the quote outside of the film.

I just asked Bill for you. Will let you know what he says.
    What we give to the poor is what we take with us when we die.

The "Keeper of the Ninth"

Directly from Bill:

The line "Oh, God, I love" are Scobie's last words a moment before his suicide in Graham Green's The Heart of the Matter." I wrote the line at Kane's death for its resonance, though my thoughts about Kane's "suicide" are not those expressed to me about Scobie's death by Evelyn Waugh when he visited my Georgetown campus in 1948. It was Waugh who said that Scobie's problem was that his love was a "general and abstract feeling, but when one looked at the lives he destroyed it was clear to Waugh that Scobie loved no one in the particular. He answered another question from the audience in Gaston Hall by saying he believed "Scobie went directly and immediately to hell, and I know that because Graham told me so!" Gospel truth.
    What we give to the poor is what we take with us when we die.

The "Keeper of the Ninth"

Thread Information