View Poll Results: Which version do you prefer, and why?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, "Killer" Kane (1966)

0 0%
  • The Ninth Configuration (1978)

3 100.00%

Thread: Which version do you prefer, and why?

Which version do you prefer, and why?

The original 1966 edition known as Twinkle, Twinkle, "Killer" Kane - essentially a black comedy - or the heavily re-written and revised The Ninth Configuration from 1978, which would be the basis for the subsequent movie in 1980?
    What we give to the poor is what we take with us when we die.

The "Keeper of the Ninth"

As to Bill's own personal preference, here is a quote from my essay comparing the two novels from "American Exorcist: Critical Essays on William Peter Blatty" (2008):

Additionally, while being asked which incarnation of The Ninth Configuration he prefers, Blatty has stated: "After The Exorcist, I decided that I could deepen the story a great deal. So I rewrote it and fleshed it out, and fully developed the deeper implications and the theological themes. As to which I prefer – the first one is infinitely funnier and wilder, and stranger and more one of a kind; the second one has the same plot, but the prose is more finely crafted, I think. In the first one I allowed the comedy to carry me, so I think I prefer that one. In some ways I prefer that book to The Exorcist. I loved the characters and it was pleasurable to write. The Exorcist was truly such hard work."
    What we give to the poor is what we take with us when we die.

The "Keeper of the Ninth"

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read either one, but your post is consistent with which one Bill recommended for me to read.

While I'm more of a Legion/EIII aficionado (nowhere near your proportions), TNC is a great film.
    Last edited by Jonathan Vaughan; 09-28-2010 at 02:33 AM.

"Ye must be born again"

Thread Information